Saturday, June 5, 2010

Michael Dawson Rejoins England in South Africa

After being told of his omission from the final 23 last week, Michael Dawson overcame his initial disappointment when Fabio Capello called him up as a straight replacement for the injured Rio Ferdinand.



He looks extremely pleased in this video when he shook hands with Capello and then John Terry. He will compete with Ledley King, Jamie Carragher and Matthew Upson for a place alongside John Terry at centre defence.





This is what Spurs' player of the year, Dawson had to say, and he seemed delighted  that he is given this great chance to be at the World Cup.
"It's a crazy game and things can change in a split second. One minute I'm trying to arrange my holiday, then I get a call asking if I was on holiday because Rio had pulled out of training. I said 'no' and then I was just waiting by the phone before getting a call saying I would be picked up in an hour. It's been a crazy day. I've not had time to think about it but I've had call after call with people wishing me good luck.
"I know all the lads through having been with them for two weeks, so I'll just be going out there and training as normal. I was planning to watch the first game of the tournament with my friends and family, but now I'm going to be there for real. I'll be going out there still having not yet won a senior cap, so what better place to get one if that was to happen. But I'll just go there and train like I do every day at Spurs and we'll have to see what happens."
Harry Redknapp ranted that Michael Dawson wasn't given a ghost of a chance but now I guess he'd have to keep quiet now. His Spurs players will have a significant role to play in England's World Cup hopes. King, Dawson, Crouch, Lennon and Defoe are all important players in Capello's tactical plans. Hopefully, Dawson will not let his inexperience at senior level (he is yet to get a senior cap) get in the way of ensuring England become two-time World Cup champions.

Will Spurs players be playing a prominent role in 2010 much like the West Ham connection in '66?
Also came across this in my mailbox today, click here for a look at an animated recreation of the classic 1966 World Cup final between England and West Germany.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

Directories That I Am On

Label Cloud


Powered By:Blogger Widgets