Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Players Who Excite Liverpool's Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard spoke to UEFA.com on the 10th April 2009 after making his 100th European appearance in the 4-0 thumping of Real Madrid to reach the Champions League quarterfinals. He even scored two goals to celebrate his centennial match.

In that interview after the match, he spoke about four players who excite him, the four he mentioned were Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Players, Gerrard describes as being on a higher level than any other player, himself included. Without a doubt, these are the four players who set the world alight in the season of 2008/2009 thus FIFA recognized their achievements by nominating them for the World Player Award.

The nominees for 2009 FIFA World Player of the Year Award are:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Real Madrid
2. Andres Iniesta (Spain), Barcelona
3. Kaka (Brazil), Real Madrid
4. Lionel Messi (Argentina), Barcelona
5. Xavi (Spain), Barcelona

The winner will be revealed at the 19th FIFA World Player Gala at the Zurich Kongresshaus on Monday 21 December. It will be a huge surprise if Lionel Messi does not add the FIFA crown to his UEFA crown.

As got the Gerrard interview, these were the parts I also found most interesting...7 months on and the interview still seemed relevant.

You were born and raised in the city. What does Liverpool FC mean to you?

Gerrard: It means everything to me. I've supported the club ever since I started watching football. A lot of my family are Liverpool supporters, a lot of my friends, and I still live in the city. So when we do win and get good results, and win trophies, it's nice to be part of it and enjoy it with the supporters.

What was the first game you went to at Anfield?

Gerrard: I was a young boy playing for Liverpool, I think I was eight years of age. Steve Heighway was in charge of all the young players, and he treated us to three tickets, so me, my dad and brother went to the game. We were playing Coventry City and won 3-0. Jan Molby scored three penalties, so it was a strange night.

Who was your favourite player when you were a boy?

Gerrard: After going to that first game, Jan was certainly one of my favourite players. When I started going regularly to watch Liverpool, the likes of Jamie Redknapp, Robbie Fowler and John Barnes were my heroes.

When people talk about great European Cup finals, 2005 when you came from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan will always be up there.

Gerrard: I'm going to be biased and say that the 2005 final was the best final ever. I don't think there's one that turned out the way that game did - 3-0 down, then 3-3, and then a penalty shoot-out. It was fantastic entertainment for the neutral, but to play in it was an unbelievable experience.

One of your best qualities seems to be that you never give up.

Gerrard: That's the way I've been brought up at this football club. From a very young age you're taught never to give up until the final whistle, no matter what the score is, and to keep fighting all the way till the end. And that's how I like to play the game. So many football matches have been turned around in the last couple of minutes, so it's important not to give up – and that's a message you've got to give young players.

What are your ambitions for the future with Liverpool and England?

Gerrard: I've still got many more dreams and ambitions to achieve with Liverpool. Obviously the Premier League; that's the only medal that is missing from my collection. It would be nice to lift a second European Cup, so there are still many, many things I want to achieve with the club. And obviously for England it would be nice to go to a tournament and be successful. To go one better than a quarter-final, to get into the last four, or maybe a final; that would be a fantastic achievement.

Do you see yourself as a manager in the future? Will you remain in football?

Gerrard: I have thought about it quite a few times: I'm 28 now and am certainly getting older. It would be nice to stay involved in the game. I'm not sure at what level, whether that's as a manager, a coach or whether I'll go into the media. I'm not too sure, but it would be nice to stay involved because football is so important to me.

You can view the entire interview here uploaded by lfc92erikkynwa




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

Directories That I Am On

Label Cloud


Powered By:Blogger Widgets