Liverpool fans this season, witnessed 10(!) proud records re-written and these surely underlined the sad fact that it has been a poor season by Liverpool's proud playing standards. The sterling performances of Lucas, Carragher, Suarez, Kuyt, Spearing and Meireles only papered over the cracks which King Kenny should put right in the next three years.
These ten records were,
- 18 years since Spurs last won at Anfield (1993)
- 25 years since Spurs did the double over Liverpool (1986)
- 27 years since Wolves last won at Anfield (1984)
- 27 years since Stoke last won against Liverpool (1984)
- 30 years since West Brom last beat Liverpool (1981)
- 57 years since the worst start to any Liverpool season (1953-54)
- 64 years since Blackpool did the double over Liverpool (1947)
- 1st ever Carling Cup loss to a League 2 outfit (Northampton)
- 1st £50 million pound player transfer to a Premier League rival (Reds legend Fernando Torres)
- Conceded 21-year old record of 18 league titles (to Manchester United)
So, in an overall strange and poor season, Liverpool had the players to do better but Roy Hodgson's playing philosophy and the injury-enforced absence of Steven Gerrard limited the potential of the Reds. Dalglish brought a bit of swagger back but Liverpool fans must surely want to forget this season very quickly indeed.